Director of Woodfords Senior Program
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Hours per Week: Up to 18, with most weeks averaging between 12 and 18 hours
Compensation: $25 per hour. This position is not eligible for benefits
Status: FLSA Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Start Date: Negotiable
Questions about this position? Send them to WSPSearch at woodfordschurch dot org.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to WSPSearch at woodfordschurch dot org.
At the direction of the senior pastor, the Director of Woodfords Senior Program oversees the needs of the senior members of Woodfords Congregational Church who are 65 and older, which includes creating programs, some visitation responsibilities, and coordinating services designed to enhance the overall social and spiritual health and well-being of seniors.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as the lead staff person and Director of the Woodfords Senior Program. Plan and lead meetings of the Woodfords Senior Program Committee in coordination with the committee chair.
- Plan and implement year-round programs designed to meet the spiritual, social and intellectual needs of the Woodfords elder community (in coordination with the pastor and the Woodfords Senior Program Committee) including activities such as team meetings, luncheons, in person and online learning opportunities, field trips, small-group spiritual explorations, etc.
- Provide regular communication of upcoming activities to seniors within the church and/or community.
- Conduct regular assessment of any programming developed and make adjustments as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain a trust relationship with the elder members through regular contact. Maintaining confidentiality is paramount.
- Respond to requests made by application to the Woodfords Senior Program for items such as medical equipment, elder services, transportation, etc.
- Coordinate resources for transportation and elder home care services as well as directing the activities of those providing those services, including coordination with lay ministry program to provide home visits or some other form of outreach as needed.
- Provide updated information about the availability of programs and services both in the church and in the community such as housing, meals, medical alert systems and information on social events and other opportunities for older adults and their families.
- The director is a member of the church staff and will regularly attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attendance at other church meetings, beyond Woodfords Senior Program Committee, may be needed if the agenda at such meetings relates specifically to the ongoing work of the director.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Enjoys working with elders and individuals over the age of 65. Ideally, some experience working with individuals in this age range, which could include an internship in a related field
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff, WSP committee and members and others
- An understanding of mainline Christianity and the denominational values and ethos of the United Church of Christ (or “UCC” for short).For more information, CLICK HERE to see the UCC’s “What We Believe” webpage. Woodfords is an Open and Affirming congregation that values and affirms the sacred worth of all individuals.
- Comfortable with helping elders explore their spirituality
- Knowledge of public, not-for-profit social service and/or church services delivery or related field
- Knowledge of resources (social and educational) within Southern Maine and specifically the Portland area
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to establish priorities and organize and follow through on work with minimal supervision
- Ability to develop short-term and long-range plans
- Ability to cultivate a supportive, respectful, enjoyable and enriching environment for elders
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience taking high-quality photos and videos is desirable
- Understanding of and comfort with technology and electronic communication, including Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, Excel), Constant Contact and Zoom.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and finance
- Strong records management and maintenance skills
The person in this role has no formal supervisory responsibilities over other staff members but does oversee volunteers and vendors (caterers, etc.) for WSP-related activities and events.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Normal in office and remote working environment. Minimal physical effort required, however occasional physical effort may be involved in setting up and taking down events. Normally seated with freedom of movement on a regular basis, operating office machines and handling light materials and supplies. Regularly operates a desktop computer, requiring hand-eye coordination and finger dexterity; and routinely communicates face-to-face, via online platforms and on the telephone.
The applicant should possess and be able to maintain a Maine driver’s license and have dependable transportation to conduct outreach activities. Mileage will be reimbursed based on the federal General Service Administration schedule for mileage reimbursement.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
Woodfords Congregational Church is a Just-Peace and Open-And-Affirming Congregation
in the United Church of Christ.