Carter Heyward Book Group
On behalf of The BTS Center and The Maine Council of Churches, we would like to thank you for participating in our September 21 book event with Carter Heyward.
A recording of the event is posted on the Maine Council of Churches YouTube channel. We hope you’ll like the video and subscribe to our channel! Please share the video with those you know who wish to commit ever more fully to generating justice-love by overcoming today’s culture of hate and bringing healing and hope into our life together.
Thanks to the generosity of many who attended this event, we were able to raise $2,695! for Faithful America. If you have not yet had a chance to donate, please help us to reach a threshold of $3,000 by donating here.
As mentioned during the program, we are delighted to offer the opportunity for book groups who read and discuss “The 7 Deadly Sins of White Christian Nationalism” to meet with Carter Heyward on-line Wednesday, February 8, 2023. Here is how the book groups will work:
· Each book group will consist of 4 or more people who commit to reading the book in its entirety and to meeting at least once before February 8, either in person or on-line, to discuss.
· Groups can be formed in several different ways: an already existing book group could add this title to its reading list; or an Adult Ed class at your church could be a group; or you could recruit friends or colleagues to form a group. We will also help connect audience members who wish to join or form a book group.
· Whether your book group already exists, you plan to organize a new group or you want to be connected with a group or with others seeking to form a group, you need to use the link below to sign up no later than October 5.
· After October 5, each group will be asked to name one member to serve as a contact person with the Maine Council of Churches. That person will be responsible for receiving important information from MCC and then distributing it to the other group members.
· We encourage groups to purchase their copies of the book from a local bookseller.
· All registered book groups will be invited to meet with Carter Heyward on-line to discuss, ask questions and form action plans on February 8, 4:00-5:30 pm EST.
· The deadline to sign up is October 5, though groups do not need to start meeting by then.
To access the book group registration form, click here.
We thank you for your interest in this program, and we thank our event partners for their generous support: Episcopal Diocese of Maine; First Congregational Church UCC, South Portland, ME; The Haney-Leighton Fund; Social Action Committee of the Maine Conference, United Church of Christ; St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, Cape Elizabeth, ME; HopeGateWay; Maine Conference, New England Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; and St. Luke’s Cathedral, Portland, ME.
Grace and Peace,